Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Do you know that....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tran Linh
Trollin' the forums since 1981
Tran Linh

Location : in a maid cafe in Akiba? or behind you? who knows :O

Do you know that.... Empty
PostSubject: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 8:10 am

"Do you know that..." Topic.
This topic purpose is to share knowledge of all kind to other people. Rule is simple, post your information here, it should be a serious information and has somewhat good value to other people. So it doesn't have to be about manga only. It can be fun facts or completely serious issues. It can be about anything, animal life, human's food, history, math...you name it!
Back to top Go down
https://xscansx.forummotion.com
Tran Linh
Tran Linh

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 8:26 am

I'm a lawyer and has some knowledge in the field. I would start something first since i'm the one who started the topic Smile
Do you know that...

Bar passage rate of law practitioner in Japan is only about 25% while in the US, the normal rate for one of the hardest bar (New York) is about 50%-75%? That is also the main reason why many Japanese law practitioner, disregarding the language barrier, still come to America to take the bar exam.
Back to top Go down
Redbull Zombie
Dragon Hatchling!
Dragon Hatchling!
Redbull Zombie

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 1:21 pm

British Columbia is due for a massive earthquake in the next 5 years due to it's location of the plates
Back to top Go down
Haruhilulu
Minions Unite!
Minions Unite!
Haruhilulu

Location : At my desk, reading/watching/playing anime, manga mmo's

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 10:02 pm

Did you know the worth 'Bitchen' was a world for "Marvelous" or today's "Swag", "tight", "cool" in the 19th century? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Parallax
Dragon Hatchling!
Dragon Hatchling!
Parallax

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 10:29 pm

If you're up for it, watch all of sapolsky's lectures. Theres always good shit in there.

This one is even better if you already have a basic understanding of dopamine/serotonin and its effects on the brain.
Back to top Go down
Dreams
Maniac =.=!
Maniac =.=!
Dreams

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 11:24 pm

this will make you go WOW =p

Back to top Go down
Haruhilulu
Minions Unite!
Minions Unite!
Haruhilulu

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 11:58 pm

lol i watched that in school XD
Back to top Go down
Tran Linh
Tran Linh

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 1:12 am

Do you know that...
There's a Japanese term that has no equivalent translation even thought this term is used daily by Japanese (and of course), in manga as well?
It's いただきす(頂きます)or Itadakimasu. The meaning can't be explain in a concrete translation. Because of that it can only be explained following:

1. Itadakimasu = You RECEIVE something from other people. So that person has higher status than you (because they give, you receive). That's when you use this term to show respect. The more crude form of itadakimasu is "morau" or もらう。Should be used between close friend and family only.

2. Itadakimasu is most used right before you start eating//drinking something. And this is where all the trouble start. For example, you are about to eat your mom's cooking, or your friend's obento, so before you eat, you have to say "itadakmasu" = "I have received" or can be understood with "It looks so good and thank you for it, I will start eating now" or "thank you for making this for me", "I have the honor to eat now all thanks to you" etc.

When you are in a restaurant, don't say itadakimasu to the waiter because actually, you are paying money to them for the service. But sometimes, it depends, maybe if the chef is there and you want to show how thankful you are, feel free to do it.... Btw, in the same restaurant, if you are sitting with your friends, then make sure to say "itadakimasu" to your friends even thought they are of course NOT the one who made the food! The reason is simple: you are saying this as a declaration that "I will start eating then" OR most likely "thank you for being with me here, and because of that, the meal looks so tasty that I should not waste more time looking at it any more", funny right Razz Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I think in western countries, they don't have that kind of saying. So even though I've been playing around Japanese & English for years. I couldn't find any proper interpretation for it. This is especially true in manga translation. However, it's my job so I have to figure out some way, most often, I would go with "look nice//smell good//thanks!//, I'm digging in// I will help myself then". But the closest one I think is "bon appétit" (lolz).

Fun fact: before "eating" a girl/ guy, Japanese also say "Itadakimasu" Razz

Last edited by Tran Linh on Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
YukiSanada
Dragon Hatchling!
Dragon Hatchling!
YukiSanada

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 1:57 am

In western countries, you may say "Bon appétit" (French) at the begininning of the meal, for instance. And I think it is really close to Itadakimasu's meaning ^^

Tran Linh wrote:

Meaning: before eating a guy/girl out?... Then, what I said about "Bon appétit" isn't really correct.

Do you know that Earth population will stabilize by 2050?
Do you know that during extreme stimulations, women's pubic hair straighten?
DO you know that many girls/teenage girls/women have never ever masturbate?

PS: well, that's Tran Linh "eat" thing that made me think of H ^^
Back to top Go down
chokklatMOOSE
Minions! Minions Everywhere!
chokklatMOOSE

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 5:36 pm

Bon appétit is different in its literal meaning than 'itadakimasu.' The latter suggests that you are recieving, while 'bon appétit' is more like "enjoy your meal.'

QUESTION: Does anyone know if emesis (vomiting) is the body's defense mechanism or the body's reaction? I was thinking that it might be the body's way of purging itself of a foreign substance, but there are also instances where emesis could be a reaction (ipecac anyone?).

-Did you know that bird poop is white because birds do not pee?
-Did you know that once frozen, no animal can survive because once ice is formed inside the cells and expands, this will cause the cells to lyse (break open). Certain types of frogs are exempted from this, however, because they have special proteins which prevent the formation of ice.
-Did you know that at the time of her death, there was an untrue rumor that Czarina Catherine II died while having sex with a horse LOL (I kind of wish this was true because it's super funny).
Back to top Go down
YukiSanada
Dragon Hatchling!
Dragon Hatchling!
YukiSanada

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 9:42 pm

I'm quite sure it's a reaction to foreign substances/bodies, be it alcohol or illness (for example).

Did you know that OK stand for oll korrect?
Did you know that the laughter and the cocaine cause the same reactions in the brain?
Did you know that the duration of a year is precisely 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes and 46 seconds? (That's why there's a bissextile every 4 years)

EDIT: I didn't know leap year was the commonly used word,my bad

Last edited by YukiSanada on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Haruhilulu
Minions Unite!
Minions Unite!
Haruhilulu

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyTue Mar 29, 2011 10:47 pm

Leap year basically, ahem
Did you know that 8 out of 10 Americans will get diabetes?
Did you know that pigs can't look up to the sky?
Did you that there are more plastic flamingos in the U.S, than real ones?
Back to top Go down
Cheesus
Cheesus

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 9:21 pm

Did you know that Bill nye the science guy is really an actor.
Back to top Go down
Haruhilulu
Minions Unite!
Minions Unite!
Haruhilulu

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 12:26 am

Yes, I saw Bill Nye in the Pirates of the Caribbean LOL xD
Back to top Go down
SilentKiller
SilentKiller

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 1:02 pm

Did you know that if you hold your sneeze you can die.
Back to top Go down
http://NYAN NYAN.com
XnuclearlandmineX
*Yawn*
*Yawn*
XnuclearlandmineX

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 2:43 pm

SilentKiller wrote:
Did you know that if you hold your sneeze you can die.

I don't think so. It is like the one that said "you open your eyes while you are sneezing your eyeball will fly out". Both of them are false.

Tran Linh wrote:

lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
SilentKiller
SilentKiller

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptySat Apr 30, 2011 2:46 pm

LMAO I don't know man I heard about it xD

Back to top Go down
xezrei
xezrei

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyFri May 13, 2011 7:35 am

lol so japanese eat humans O.o

EDIT: wait, i get wat that means! BWAHHAHA
Back to top Go down
YukiSanada
Dragon Hatchling!
Dragon Hatchling!
YukiSanada

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyFri May 13, 2011 3:38 pm

You didn't understand that at first. How pure of you...
Back to top Go down
xezrei
xezrei

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptySat May 14, 2011 6:24 am

yea yea i know im slow XD but after rereading the sentence, i remembered i read a manga before that did that XD

Back to top Go down
SilentKiller
SilentKiller

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyWed Jun 01, 2011 12:59 pm

LOL I only understood what it meant after reading Xezrei's post =.='
haha

Fun fact!
A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.
Back to top Go down
Tetsu
well, at least it's better than meh
well, at least it's better than meh
Tetsu

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:29 am

they say that a sneeze is like a small orgasm, even still please dont sneeze on my boots. lol

did you know that hot water freezes faster than cold water
Back to top Go down
SilentKiller
SilentKiller

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:54 am

LOL @ the boots thing xD

Did you know that Blue from Blue's Clues is actually Female? xD
Back to top Go down
hybriD
Meh...
Meh...
hybriD

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 3:40 am

did you know that 70% of canadian 7th graders cannot locate their state on an unmarked map? Shocked

Back to top Go down
xezrei
xezrei

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 4:35 am

BLUE IS FEMALE?! :O then, the pink dog is male?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you know that....   Do you know that.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you know that....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: E-Library-
Jump to:  
Forum create on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com